SAVE the CATES!
Silks and satins, feed and seed, apples to blankets to top-hats...the Cates store sold everything needed by the locals and the visiting elite who came to drink the famed Glenn Springs mineral waters.
Built circa 1830's, the large clapboard structure is thought to have first been a home for the prosperous Cates family.
Imagine the 1890's when Glenn Springs was called the "Queen of the South", with the famed healing waters shipped to Europe and all over the United States. Visitors arrived by carriage, horseback and train. The first telephone line in Spartanburg County was run from Main Street Spartanburg to the Cates Store in Glenn Springs.
After the depression and the economic collapse of the resort, tthe store closed and was converted to Sunday School rooms in 1938 by the Glenn Springs Presbyterian Church, with the congregation worshipping in the nearby stone church.
In 1961 the Glenn Springs Presbyterian Church moved to their new location on Highway 215. The building remained under ownership of the Cates family and was abandoned.
In August of 2013, the Glenn Springs Preservation Society purchased the 2.5 acres of land which included the Old stone Church and the Cates building. Restoration of the Old Stone Church is now complete and the Preservation Society is currently raising funds to reverse 60 years of weather and kudzu, and restore the magnificent Cates.
RECEPTION AND MEETING SPACE
KITCHEN AND REST ROOMS